Thursday, October 30, 2008

More THS History

One of the things that triggered the creation of this blog was the email from Richard Hamner in which he remembered many things related to the street now named Black Bears Way.

Richard has provided more details about our history in the post below.

****************************************************

To my classmates:

I blog, therefore I am.

Ask not what your blog can do for you, but ask rather what you can do for your blog.

I'm blogging! (Is this something that I need my parents' permission
for?)

I decided to use "Richard Hamner" as my blog pseudonym (blog-o-nym?) I thought about coming up with something like "Soapman" or "Bubbles", but I decided to stick with something a little less cryptic. I also thought about using something like "Jim Stringer", since he is one of the people I admire most, but that smacked a little of ID theft, so I decided against it.

So it is "Richard Hamner", with all warts and neuroses thereunto appertaining.

Your self-appointed historian has been busy doing his homework. I met Shirley Lollar, who is the archivist for the Tuscaloosa Board of Education, and she helped me fill in a few gaps on the history of THS, and here is the short version.

Before 1885, education was conducted in private homes and some churches. In 1885 the state legislature decreed that the "Tuscaloosa Graded School System" be established for the purpose of public education.

The first building for the little white chirren was the old Stafford School building (which was built that year I think - I am getting a web link to the whole archive thing soon). Black students went to school in the old Zion Church and Masonic Hall. I don't know where that was or is - anybody know?

But from 1885 to 1890, all grades went to school in Stafford School. That building was ultimately torn down and the land was used for the Stafford Hotel. I actually remember being in the old Stafford School building, which was Stafford Elementary school by then. I am sure some of our classmates went to elementary school there.

In 1890, a "High School Department" was established in Stafford School, so I guess we can say that THS started in 1890.

The High School was moved to the new building at Queen City and 10th Street in 1910. That building became the Junior High School in 1925 when the new building on 21st Avenue was occupied. (Built in 1924, which you can see over the doorway, but not occupied for classes until the fall of 1925.) I am still trying to find out when the 1910 building was torn down.

Then the building on 15th Street was built in 1954 and occupied for classes in 1955. The building on 21st became the Junior High School (where we went to Junior High) and ultimately the Board of Education office.

In 1979, Central High School was established with the West Campus (old Druid High School) housing ninth and tenth graders and Central- East (old THS on 15th Street) housing 11th and 12th graders.

The new building was built on 15th Street in 2005 (groundbreaking on 2/3/05) and occupied for classes in 2006.

That is the short version. If anyone wants to know who the superintendent was in 1903, I can tell you.

Also, Shirley Lollar the archivist said that the earliest copy of the Black Warrior yearbook that she has was the 1915 edition. I told her that one of our classmates has a copy of the 1914 edition, she almost became incontinent right there over the phone. Also, the 1961 Black Warrior has a picture of the 1911 Yearbook and a picture of the editor that year, and she didn't know that. So Class of '61 and '62 helped the archivist as well as vice-versa.

One final fact: There is a high school named for our classmate Paul Bryant! Has anyone visited it (on Buttermilk Road, built in 2002.)
Yayyyyyy!

Love to all!

Richard ("Bubbles") Hamner

1 comment:

  1. Hi everyone - this is Anne Overall Massey. I just happened on this website and was delighted. I especially enjoyed this pic. I wish I had been there looks like it was fun. If anyone wants to e-mail me my address is:

    aomassey44@yahoo.com

    would love to hear from one and all.

    ReplyDelete

In the "Comment as:" selection list below, pick "Name/URL", then type your name (including maiden name if appropriate). If you don't wish to use your full name, type your first name and enough of your last name that classmates can identify you, e.g. 'Jim Str...'. Leave "URL" blank.