Tuesday, October 28, 2008

One Thing I Learned ...

What's one thing you learned while at THS that has helped you, stayed in your thoughts, been a shining beacon, or whatever, since you left high school?

For me, it's easy - Miss Joy Box's three-sentence paragraph exercises. I'm sure those who took 11th grade English from Miss Box remember these well. I don't claim to be a wonderful writer but whenever I do write, I remember what she taught us and it has helped.

Add your thoughts about a significant thing by attaching a comment to this post. This is not limited to academics. It might be a personal relationship (positive or negative), something extracurricular or even outside school altogether.

So, give it a shot.

Jim

3 comments:

  1. I thank my lucky stars for BOTH Joy Box and Anna Brown every time I have to grade a project from my own students. Without their through grounding in English, I wouldn't be able to help my students master their writing skills nearly as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does anyone remember the saying "NO RAIN A DESERT MAKES". Miss Anna Brown taught us that and I have remembered it all these years. Teachers, just know you have an impact on some forever. Any one know where that quote came from?
    I have used it in my teaching many times.
    sara duren

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember that phrase but I learned a phrase later that would have been interesting to her. When I was in computer science graduate school back in the Dark Ages of computers, we were looking at the use of computers for language translation purposes. The ambiguity of English is a real problem as exemplified by the sentence, "Time flies like an arrow." Each of the first three words could be the verb! Miss Brown would have loved it!

    ReplyDelete

In the "Comment as:" selection list below, pick "Name/URL", then type your name (including maiden name if appropriate). If you don't wish to use your full name, type your first name and enough of your last name that classmates can identify you, e.g. 'Jim Str...'. Leave "URL" blank.